Nestled in the heart of the Great Lakes region, Ohio is the place to go if you want a taste of authentic America. The state has everything: the beaches of Lake Erie, the banks of the Ohio River, three large cities (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland) and Appalachian charm, as well as world-class museums, the world’s largest Amish enclave and world-record-breaking amusement parks.
Don't leave without tasting...
Cincinnati-style chili at Skyline Chili, chocolate buckeyes (peanut butter balls) at Pure Imagination in the Short North district of Columbus, beef-cheek pierogi (dumplings) at Iron Chef Michael Symon’s Lola restaurant in Cleveland.
You might be surprised by...
The Wilds is a near-10,000-acre conservation facility for endangered exotic animals, from rhinos to giraffes to scimitar horned oryx, as well as a carnivore area for cheetahs and African wild dogs.
Top photo opportunities
- The I.M. Pei glass pyramid at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland
- Sandusky’s Cedar Point amusement park, surrounded by Lake Erie
- Roebling Suspension Bridge, Cincinnati
- Longaberger Basket building, Frazeysburg.
Want to stay up late?
Visit the Short North district in Columbus, the Over the Rhine neighbourhood of Cincinnati or the East 4th Street district in Cleveland.
Your child will always remember...
Frolicking with the family at Kalahari, the world’s largest indoor water park, located in Sandusky.
Famous people from our state
- Neil Armstrong, first person to set foot on the moon (learn more at the Armstrong Air & Space Museum, Wapakoneta)
- The Wright Brothers, inventors of the aeroplane (Wright Cycle Company and Carillon Historical Park, Dayton)
- Thomas Edison, inventor (Thomas Edison Birthplace Museum, Milan)
- Also from Ohio: Steven Spielberg, Halle Berry, Drew Carey, Katie Holmes, Sarah Jessica Parker …
Cleveland Museum of Art and the National Museum of the US Air Force (in Dayton), both of which are free. If you’d rather shop, there are three prime outlet malls: Tanger Outlets in Jeffersonville, Aurora Farms Premium Outlets in Aurora and Cincinnati Premium Outlets.
Rent a cabin for a weekend in the Hocking Hills region or stay at a bed and breakfast in Amish Country.
Made in our state
- Tours are available at the following: Warther Carvings (Dover) for high-quality wood and steel kitchen knives
- Columbus Washboard Company (Logan), the only washboard manufacturer still operating in the United States of America today
- KitchenAid Experience (Greenville), where you can see the original Model H mixer first made in 1908.
- Zipline with Hocking Hills Canopy Tours
- Honda Performance Driving School
- Canoeing on the Mohican River
- Cycling on railways converted to trails
- Hiking in state parks.